Sunday, November 9, 2008

My journey began...

It's hard to believe that my story is only 2 1/2 months long. Knitting with alpaca has always been my choice. The way the yarn feels in my hands....the feeling of the finished product next to my skin. So it only seems logical that I should have alpacas in my life.

After a tearful parting with my college aged daughter, my husband was trying to distract me from my maternal loneliness. On the way to the wineries of Ithaca and a kayaking adventure on our first enormous lake, I noticed that there was an alpaca farm. "Please! Please can we stop there! Just for a few minutes!" Well, that few minutes turned into 2 hours and I was hooked. I was told later that it's called "Alpaca Fever". Well I had it...and I had it bad!

The next two weeks were spent scouring the internet for anyone close to me on Long Island that had alpacas. No one was jumping out of my computer. Then I did a search for farms nearest to me. And I discovered Rosehaven. After a few emails, Michele and I finally had the chance to chat. By this time, my husband, Michael, realized that this was no passing phase. We planned a trip to the farm. And the rest is history.

Two beautiful girls, Autumn Dancer and Maggie joined our family. Autumn is now pregnant with her first cria and Maggie will just be adorable for a while longer. The opportunity to have Michele and Rob in our lives has been a pleasure. Agisting has proven to work for us, except that it is such a trip! (in more ways than one!)

As we learn more and read more and hear more from the alpaca people that we encounter, Michael and I are discovering that this business is truly for us. We are enjoying work ng together towards a common goal. We are laughing together and creating our path.

Most importantly, I have stopped crying!!!

Robin Shatzkin
Autumn Kiss Alpacas
http://www.autumnkissalpacas.com/

No comments: